...Not the kind of wheel you fall asleep at...

Float On


One of my favorite songs at the moment is Modest Mouse's "Float On." (If you haven't yet heard it, you can click here to listen to a clip or click here to watch the video on your Windows Media Player.) Why do I like it so much? Well, it's just a fucking good song to listen to when you're feeling shitty because the music and lyrics make life sound like it can't head anywhere but up. Its mood is contagious and it seems to be able to turn any upside-down day right-side up again.



It's one of those songs that'd be perfect for an uplifting (and preferably uncheesy) movie soundtrack. Which in turn makes it one of those rare songs that, if your life had a soundtrack (as everyone's really SHOULD in my opinion), would fit very snugly and perfectly into many given moments in this soundtrack.

That being said...

Relatively Believable Soundtrack-Moments for "Float On" in My Daily Life

  • I'm just reaching the apex of a hill on my way to work when the sun bursts over the horizon with a punch like Muhammed Ali. The fella to my right sings loudly to some horrible 80's song with his window cracked just enough that I can make out each terrible word and a man in the car to the left of me grins at me and throws me a wink. Suddenly Monday doesn't seem QUITE so bad. *CUE SONG*


  • I've just spent the last of this week's money and have no spare cash on hand. I flop down on my couch, dejected. My hand slips into the crack and *VOILA* I pull out a $20--just enough to get me that small crack-rock my body's been itching for all week. My right eye twitches eagerly once and then twice. *CUE SONG*


  • Maura, one of my closest friends, has spent the evening with me, slowly sipping away at some bad-ass margaritas while ripping into each others hearts and heads like very few other people seem able to do. It's 1 am and she has a long drive back home, but we're both brimming with an eagerness to meet the upcoming day--feeling centered and like everything WILL in fact be ok, despite how hard things feel at times. We wrap our arms around each other in a long hug--the kind where you're almost afraid to let the other person go because it just feels too damn nice. I open the door and let her out. From out in the hallway she tosses back, "We REALLY have to do this again FUCKING SOON, dammit!" right as I blurt out the exact same sentiments. We *CUE SONG* both grin and wave goodnight. I go back inside, smiling and sit down to write.


  • It's been a really long day at work--the Man's been bringing me down. I'm to the point of tears and Eleven offers to treat me to sushi at Pacific East. We're sitting at the table, sipping on some plum wine. He's smiling at me softly and speaking to me quietly. His freckles dance delightfully across his cheeks. I place a bit of avocado sushi on my tongue... *CUE SONG*




  • Perhaps Slightly Less-Believable Soundtrack Moments

  • I am adrift in the Pacific Ocean for the 45th straight day--no water, no food, and yet somehow I've managed to survive. About thirteen sharks have made it their weekly entertainment to circle under me and the sun glints off their tail-fins as it creeks its spindly fingernails across my already badly burnt flesh. My tongue is bloated and swollen to the point that I'm wheezing with each breath. *CUE SONG*


  • Tripping on acid, I suddenly see Ronald McDonald leering at me from my bedroom. I scream as he lurches through my door. The Fry Guys are at each of his sides. They're weilding machine guns. I scramble towards my front door. Suddenly the three of them explode into a rain of soft rose petals that float gently to my floor. I begin to laugh maniacally. *CUE SONG*


  • I get outside to where my Volkswagon Beetle is parked at the curb and, lo and behold, two assholes have boxed me in. I sit on the curb with my head in my hands. Two body-builders roam over and lend a helping hand. They pick up each end of my car and slide it free of its parking space. I whip out a pack of Mentos and a marching band turns right down the street playing the Mentos song. Suddenly Isaac Brock (lead singer of Modest Mouse) comes flying out of a nearby apartment building and starts stabbing various band members in the side. The Mentos song deflates only to be replaced by "Float On." *CUE SONG*


  • I'm shagging away on my new futon. It's a humid night, so it's some of that good summer shaggin'. At the moment of orgasm (which happens for both of us simultaneously of course, just like in the movies) my bedroom door flies open and a band marches in *CUE SONG* playing "Float On." Balloons are released out my window, a disco ball starts revolving from my ceiling, bubbles start whipping around the room, and Eleven and I just lay there, laughing and carefree.


  • It's been a really long day at work and the Man's been keeping me down. Maura's leaving from my apartment, about a dozen sharks circling around her. The marching band is still marching circles around my bedroom but isn't playing music anymore. The acid's wearing off, and I try hard not to slip on any of the rose petals. Isaac Brock is sitting on my couch, calmly holding his bloody knife and smiling. My crack-rock sits in my pocket, its slight bulge against my leg reminding me of good times yet to come. Suddenly the sun breaks over the horizon right behind Maura like a knife-wielding maniac. It slits the throat of the body-builder on her right. The body-builder on her left looks at me and winks. *CUE SONG*


  • -------




    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home