...Not the kind of wheel you fall asleep at...

Pale September


Fall's my favorite season. When I start to feel it creeping close, I get all itchy for it to hurry up and show its face already. It makes me wanna sit outside and smoke while inhaling the deep earthy scent of leaves. It makes me think of cold cement and dead gray skies. It makes me think of Halloween's sad droop and pumpkins' mad grins. It makes me want to cuddle close with someone under soft fleece covers. It makes me want to press my forehead against a cold window pane while I look at the deepening dusk. It makes me want to scrape my shoes along the pavement as I head off to class. It makes me want to drink warm apple cider (even though I don't really care for it) and pull my hoody tight around me as I walk home in the dark. It makes me wanna sleep with my window cracked and then huddle beneath a mound of blankets and evade my alarm clock as the darkness rolls away to leave a slight chill draped across the morning.

It makes me want to fall in love. And then fall in love again. And then fall in love some more.



Songs That Remind Me of Autumn



Definites

  • Pink Bullets--The Shins


  • Done Wrong--Ani Difranco


  • November--Tom Waits


  • "November's cold chain
    Made of wet boots and rain
    And shiny black ravens
    On chimney smoke lanes"


  • Pale September--Fiona Apple


  • Hey Kind Friend--Indigo Girls


  • Kissing Song--Dawn Landes (Click to listen)


  • How to Disappear Completely--Radiohead


  • Dear Chicago--Ryan Adams


  • You Said Something--PJ Harvey


  • This Mess We're In--PJ Harvey


  • Here Comes the Flood--Peter Gabriel


  • "Cool of a temperate breeze from dark skies to wet grass
    we fell in a field it seems now a thousand summers passed
    when our kite lines first crossed
    we tied them into knots
    and to finally fly apart
    we had to cut them off."


  • Shine On You Crazy Diamond--Pink Floyd




  • Runner's-Up

  • I Am Trying to Break Your Heart--Wilco


  • Lonely 1--Robert Sean Leonard


  • 3-Speed--Eels


  • Cold Cold Water--Mirah


  • Sorry Signs on Cash Machines--Mason Jennings


  • "the wind is ruthless
    the trees shake angry fingers at the sky
    the people hunch their shoulders
    hold their collars over their ears and run by"


  • Lost Cause--Beck


  • Lover, You Should've Come Over--Jeff Buckley


  • Spies--Coldplay


  • Please Forgive Me--David Gray


  • Waiting on an Angel--Ben Harper


  • "Pale september, I wore the time like a dress that year
    The autumn days swung soft around me, like cotton on my skin
    But as the embers of the summer lost their breath and disappeared
    My heart went cold and only hollow rhythms resounded from within"


  • Five-String Serenade--Mazzy Star


  • Lullaby in 3/4--Erin McKeown


  • Sweet Thing--Van Morrison


  • the American Beauty soundtrack




  • So what're some of YOUR favorite autumn songs?



    -------




    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home