...Not the kind of wheel you fall asleep at...

Skeleton Queen vs. Skeleton Princess


N-A was babysitting his best friend's 4-year old daughter J yesterday, and they invited me out for ice cream. I spent the time discussing the difference between a Skeleton Queen and Skeleton Princess Halloween costume (apparently there are several, including the color of the costume and the quality of the crown), listening to J freestyle a rap about a two-headed snake in her jewelry-box, teaching her how to give a wet-willy (which I'm sure her mom will be thrilled about), and helping her pack snowballs to throw at N-A. It was nice to be in the company of a child. It made me realize how infrequently I actually get the opportunity, since none of my close friends or immediate family have kids.

When they dropped me off, J said to me, swinging her tiny legs in the backseat, "Are you N-A's girlfriend?"

"Yep."

"I thought so! (pause) I'm sorry! I can't remember your name!"

"Lindy Loo."

"My name's J!"

The way she speaks is so adult-like that it always makes me think of the children in Salinger's Glass family.

* * * *

Today I feel melancholic. Not sad. But like I want to eat some rainbows.



I don't think the two things really have anything to do with each other, but I'm just saying.



-------




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home