...Not the kind of wheel you fall asleep at...

I Know It's Well-Intentioned, But I CAN'T STOP FUCKING LAUGHING HA HA HA HA


I like folk music.

A lot of my favorite musicians are considered "folk."

I will stand up heatedly for folk music in a drunken argument.

But I've gotta say, it's songs like this one--"Land of the Free" by Brad Yoder--that make me understand people's hatred for folk.

CLICK TO GO LISTEN


I think it may actually possess THE worst sappy, "socially-aware" lyrics and most melodramatically lame-ass music I've EVER HEARD.

Do you doubt me?

Well, let's just say this:

First off, go listen.

Secondly, if you still have your doubts, let me ask: How can you possibly take a song with the following line in it seriously?

"...and the Klansman in his snow suit doesn't frighten me by half"

Now, I think the "snow suit" that Yoder is describing is supposed to refer to the white ("snow") robes ("suit") of the Klan.

But my first thought was "Wait WHAT?!?! Hooded Klansmen bundled up like the younger brother in A Christmas Story??"



Which is really fucking funny, but I really really REALLY don't think it's supposed to be.

Thus, I just needed to say:

Yoder: please!

Is it really necessary to reinforce the negative stereotypes surrounding folk music? Maybe you should sing a song about that instead?



-------




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home